Friday, November 25, 2011

Day 3: October 8, 2011

Common Brown Lemur
25 seconds
[To see it full screen, click on it, then click on the
YouTube logo, and then click on the full-screen icon.]

October 8
Went to Perinet today. Saw Common Brown Lemurs, an immense translucent dragonfly, tiny and large chameleons, some gorgeous birds, some lovely plants, etc.

Being "in nature" was odd today, since 
  • Various guides at Perinet kept putting chameleons in easy-to-see locations for us
  • When we walked on a road outside the park, the exhaust fumes were horrible
  • Malagasy people's cell phones kept going off
  • We met a guy walking his pig a long way to slaughter, whipping it with branches to keep it moving
This shows a gecko and them some chameleons.
2:23
[To see it full screen, click on it, then click on the
YouTube logo, and then click on the full-screen icon.]

We're staying at the Vakona Lodge. Our room is about five flights of stairs up the side of a hill/mountain. [Later counting revealed it to be 65 steps.] It's pretty--actually two rooms, one up a spiral staircase. I'm on the porch now. I can hear a generator, what I guess is a tree frog, and people washing dishes in the lodge restaurant. A bird is whistling.

I'm falling asleep writing this! The pace was more intense than I had anticipated, plus I guess I have jet lag.

No comments:

Post a Comment